The ScienceMath-Professional Development Concept
The advantages of interdisciplinary lessons can only flower up by realising it in the classroom. Central basis for an easy and successful implementation are prepared teaching modules and an implementation concept. The ScienceMath project offers both.
- For the prepared teaching modules please click Teaching material (resp. the link in your own language)!
- Background of the ScienceMath-Professional Development Concept for interdisciplinary mathematical lessons resp. the framework for a teacher training concept is the positive evaluated ScienceMath-European teacher training event in Slovenia 2009 (local organisors: University of Ljubljana and St. Stanislav Institution Ljubljana, Kobal, Golež & Rugelj). The concept in its whole relates also to ideas of the modelling courses for secondary in-service teachers in the Master-programme of the University of Southern Denmark (Michelsen 2008). Teacher trainings according to the ScienceMath-Concept are offered successfully yearly since 2009.
The ScienceMath-Professional Development Concept is structured by modules E1 – E5, which can be combined to different versions, depending on the interests of the participants:
The five elements of the ScienceMath Professional Development Concept:
E1: Presentations and workshops at the University – learning the concept and material (ScienceMath modules, see detailed description below).
E2: Intervening period – preparing the material for school
E3: Workshop at the University – Discussing the preparations
E4: Intervening period – implementation in the classroom
E5: Seminar at the University – Exchange and improvement discussion
Teacher Trainings – Versions:
Short term Version – middle version or variable version: consisting of E1, e.g. in combination with other elements
Long term version: consisting of the five elements E1, E2, E3, E4, E5
Long term version (with less university presence): consisting of the elements E1, E4, E5
Description of the elements E1, E2, E3, E4, E5 in detail:
Basis Element E1: The basis element is the starting activity for a long term version, the core of the teacher training event or the central part of it at the university resp. organising institution. It can be offered as one single event. Contens, length and intensity can be chosen according to the interests of the participants. Download Example
E2 – Intervening Period: Preparing the materials for school:
- The chosen modules are prepared for school: preparing/buying the needed equipment, copy of worksheets etc
- Thinking about a concept of implementation: room, class, cooperation partner etc.
- Documentation of experiences and critics
E3 – Workshop at the university (Day 1)
- Welcome – registration (0,5 h)
- Working in the theme gruops: Exchanging and discussing experiences and material; if needed: preparing and improving the material for implementation (2,5 h)
- Common lunch (1,5 h)
E4 – Intervening period: preparing the modules and teaching the modules at school
- the chosen modules are prepared for school: preparing/buying the needed equipment, copy of worksheets etc.
- thinking about the concept of implementation: room, class, cooperation partner tec.
- doing the necessary steps for realisation
- teaching and implementation at school
- docomentation of experiences and critics
E5 – Seminar at the university (Day 1)
- Welcome – regsitration and reception (0,5 h)
- working in the theme groups: presentation of the results/experiences and discussion (2 h)
- break: lunch (1 h)
- working inthe gruop: discussion, resp. improving the material (1,5 h)
- break: coffee and cake (0,5 h)
- exchanging the material between all participants (1 h)
- plenary: short presentation of the modules ideas, concerning important aspects for a successful teachning (1,5 h)
- informal close – time for more exchange and further plannings (1 h, open)
continuing the same way with other modules; individual chnages are of coruse possible.